How cute is this spring bird sorting activity created by Nicole over at The Activity Mom?! We love the DIY nests and the fact that the activity can be tailored to your kiddos' learning needs. For example, you could focus on;
- Size. Have students sort the bird cutouts by size - small, medium, large.
- Color. Invite students to sort the bird cutouts by color. Nicole includes red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple birds.
- Blends. Label each of the nests with a different blend, paste pictures to the bird cutouts, and invite students to sort the birds into the correct nest.
- Letters. Label each nest with a different letter, add a letter to each bird cutout, and have students sort the birds into the appropriate nest.
- Numbers. Label each nest with a different number and each bird cutout with a different number equivalent (e.g. tally marks, number words, ten frames, etc.), then have students sort the cutouts into the correct nest.
[NOTE: You can create as many nests as you need! See simple instructions below.]
Creating the Nests
All you need to create the nests are paper lunch bags! Simply start at the top of the bag, rolling and scrunching the sides of the bag down until you get to the bottom!
To grab a copy of the FREE activity printable, be sure to visit The Activity Mom!