Nothing screams Christmas like stockings hung by the fireplace! Here's another simple display created by the teachers at McKinley Early Childhood Center that would make a great addition to your holiday decorating plans! Your kiddos are sure to have a great time creating the stockings and candy canes and, when they're finished, you'll have the makings of a great display!
Candy Cane Craft
- Provide your kiddos with a candy cane shape cut from white card stock.
- Armed with craft glue and red tissue paper, invite students to tear small pieces of tissue, scrunch them, and arrange them on the cutout to create the candy cane stripes.
- Give students stocking shapes cut from red card stock or construction paper.
- Have them add a row or two of cotton balls along the top of the stocking cutout.
- Then, armed with craft embellishments (i.e. markers, puffy paint, glitter glue, stickers, BINGO daubers, etc.) and glue, have students decorate a stocking to hang on the fireplace!
We Wish You A Merry Christmas!
- Background: White bulletin board paper.
- Title: "We Wish You A Merry Christmas!"
- Border: Red scalloped trimmer or Christmas themed bulletin board border.
- Decoration: 1) The Fireplace. Cut a large rectangle/square shape from red bulletin board paper and a smaller rectangle/square shape from black bulletin board paper, fitting it inside the red cutout to create a the fireplace shape. Hand-drawing 'bricks' on the red paper to complete the shape. [NOTE: Instead of red bulletin board paper and hand drawing the bricks, you might also consider using brick bulletin board paper!] Finally, add the 'fire' - i.e. logs cut from brown construction paper and flames cut from orange and yellow construction paper. Draw the shapes by hand or find a clip art image online that you can enlarge and trace! 2) The Stockings. Use your kiddos' crafts! 3) The Candy Canes. Again, use your kiddos' crafts!