When the budget is tight already it's hard to splurge for those prefabricated birthday posters and wall kits. Here's an inexpensive way to create your own birthday board that still packs a colorful punch!
Supplies You'll Need
- Cupcake pattern (Top & Bottom)
- 4 sheets of pink construction paper
- 3 sheets of yellow construction paper
- Assorted colors of construction paper
- Craft scissors
- Washable school glue
- Fine-tipped markers
Creating the Cupcake Tops:
- Using the pattern, trace twelve cupcake tops onto pink construction paper, one for each month.
- Use a pink fine-tipped marker to outline the cupcake tops and create 'icing swirls'.
- Cut out each cupcake top and use a fine-tipped black marker to write the names of the months in the center.
Creating the Cupcake Bottoms:
Repeat the tracing process with yellow construction paper and an orange fine-tipped marker to create the bottom of the cupcake; one for each month. Remember to leave excess construction paper so there is something to glue the tops to!
Creating the Candles & Adding The Finishing Touches:
- Free-handed, or creating and tracing a template, make a candle for each child in the class using assorted colors of construction paper.
- Use a fine-tipped black marker to write each student's name on a candle.
- Place a line of Elmer's glue onto the extra construction paper of the cupcake bottom and fasten the two cupcake pieces together. Hold in place for a few seconds to give the glue a little time to set.
- Match each student's candle to their birthday month cupcake and glue together as well.
Cupcake Birthday Wall
- Background: Aqua blue background paper.
- Title: "Look Who's Having A Birthday in _________________ (Kindergarten, Mrs. Nelson's Class, etc.)!"
- Border: Vibrant solid trimmer or birthday-themed border.
- Decoration: Cupcakes previously created.
While this birthday classroom decoration may take more work than prefabricated classroom posters and wall kits, it will certainly save on precious resources and provide a dynamic splash of color to your classroom walls!
How do you recognize birthdays in the classroom? We'd love to hear about it so leave us a comment!